Monday, October 4, 2010

Simplicity…

I sense a call to simplicity and discipline.

Both are seemingly elusive aspects of a godly life, from my perspective!

Too much “stuff” creates distraction. Too little planning leads to laziness. The more things I need to keep in order, the greater the potential for confusion. When I fail to intentionally do what I know I need to, I ultimately fail to accomplish my desired goals.

So…why do I seem to struggle, especially in these two areas of my life?

Simplicity first.

If I consider a dialog between two people, it’s fairly simple. But if more join in, each person increases the complexity of the conversation. Hence, the more people I am relating with, the more complex my world is. But people are not dispensable or unnecessary, so my search for simplicity must begin with my surroundings.

If I picture an empty room, I imagine it to be quiet. No pictures on the wall, inviting me into another place or time. No furniture establishing the atmosphere with color, line and texture or nicknacks whispering about past experiences or books laying around asking to be picked up and read. And certainly no clutter demanding to be cleaned up.

Hmmmm…never considered how noisy a room could become. Perhaps as I begin my pursuit of simplicity, I can begin by listening with my eyes as I work through my home, and determine what “sounds” are more like clattering clutter than an invitation into rest.

That’s what my heart longs for. Rest…

I desire to be surrounded by beauty, so my goal is not to strip my rooms of all visual sound. Rather, I would like to cleanse each one of unnecessary “noise.”

Deep breath. I can do that.

With Your help, Lord, I can begin to listen with my eyes and bring restful order to my home. I ask for clarity of vision and sensitivity of sight. I want my home to be a sanctuary.

1 comment:

  1. Yes! That's right on. :) "Unnecessary noise"... yes. I have been feeling the same thing.

    ReplyDelete